Rogers’ C$20 bn deal to buy Shaw faces stay order

A Federal Court has put a stay on the C$20 billion merger between Shaw Communications and Rogers Communications following a request from Canada’s Competition Bureau.
Rogers 5G network in Canada
The agency had requested a stay on Canada’s antitrust tribunal’s decision from last week to approve the deal that would create the country’s second-largest telecom firm.

At least two analysts downgraded Shaw Communications’ shares after the court’s stay order, citing worries that the deal would not close on its slated Jan. 31 date.

Canada’s Competition Bureau said the stay on the tribunal’s decision will remain until its “application for a stay and an injunction can be heard.”

“It is uncertain if the appeal will be heard. If it is heard, then the outcome of the Rogers/Shaw transaction could be months away,” said David McFadgen, analyst at Cormark Securities.

Canada’s Industry Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne said he would give a separate decision only after there is clarity on the ongoing legal process.

Shares of Shaw were trading nearly 2 percent lower at C$38.4, below Rogers’ offer price of C$40.50 made in March 2021.

“At current levels, we will look for investment opportunities elsewhere within the Canadian telecom sector,” RBC analyst Drew McReynolds said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest

More like this
Related

T-Mobile 2025 Results: Record Customer Growth, 5G Leadership and Broadband Expansion Drive 2026 Outlook

T-Mobile US delivered strong Q4 and full-year 2025 results,...

SoftBank FY2025 results highlight revenue growth, subscriber strength and major AI investment strategy

SoftBank is accelerating its transformation from a traditional telecom...

Egypt signs record $3.5 bn spectrum deal to boost 5G and mobile capacity

Egypt has concluded the largest spectrum allocation in its...

Optus Leads 5G Signal Strength at Australian Open 2026

Optus has delivered stronger 5G performance at the Australian...